Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Oh Robin Hood

With the joys of school back, comes a delightful joy to any theatre geek. The rush of nervous excitement dwelling inside of you as you see the audition dates up. This excitement happened to me this past Tuesday, but in a happy excitement. For the audition postings for the elementary play went up, and no I am not auditioning to be Maiden Mariam in the production of Robin Hood. Although 50 bright and cheery elementary children, 3rd through 5th graders, came today to audition.

I on the other hand was there for crowd control and to help Mr. Strickland stay sane. As the children swarmed into the auditorium business began, they were called up row by row and handed a number. Then skillfully Mr. Strickland handed out the scenes to the youngsters and they dispersed through the audience, and began to read their lines to each other. 50 children in the auditorium with semi freedom equals utter chaos, but in a good way.

The nerves in their tiny bodies came across in all sorts. Some were very quiet while others decided it would be an awesome idea to sit on top of the chairs, yeah that idea did not last long. For I had to be the one to tell them to get down. Their nerves went away and they had a blast on stage.

You are probably wander why on earth was I there. Simple. I adore the children and I am the stage manager. Last year I had a blast with them, as the Assistant Stage Manager during the Wizard of OZ. And it was comforting to know that some children still remembered me.

The joys of the theatre are simply amazing and it was great to see so many young ins out there today! I can not wait to see how many kids show up tomorrow for the auditions I can not wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment